One of the best things I’ve ever started in ministry was a weekly gathering called “Compass Men.” This gathering involved me bringing men together from both inside and outside of our church to a coffee shop for a “later than ususal” meeting.
This gathering was simple and amazing. Essentially, it involved issuing challenges to these guys with achievable, tangible things for them to do to help them grow as Christ followers, husbands, fathers and leaders.
Here’s how it played out each week:
- We went through a book of the Bible together, but they read their assignments before they arrived.
- We memorized a verse of scripture each week, but we did not all memorize the same one. Each man memorized a verse of scripture they felt God was speaking to them about during their reading.
- We started each week by quoting our verse and telling each other why we felt like God wanted us to learn it.
- We walked through the reading for that week, and I kept us from heresy… 😀
- We emphasized what God wanted us to change, do or obey.
- We closed the evening with prayer in the parking lot.
- We then went home and shared what we were learning with our families.
It was cool to see men rally around this basic plan each week, with a basic action plan that was a “doable” way to flesh out their faith each week. As the weeks went on and I saw the growth happening in these men, I began to wish that we had been doing this from the very beginning.
That’s why it’s the first thing in our storyboard heading into Stoneview Summer 2009. (The astute among you will also see that the name is a hat tip to our previous adventure in church planting. That, and “Stone Men” just didn’t have the same ring to it! 🙂 )
See the info below:
There’s a man of iron in you that God wants to sharpen. You can become a stronger husband, father, friend and leader.
On Tuesday nights during the summer of 2009, we’re inviting men from all over the Alliance, Texas area to join us for an hour or so to challenge each other to be the best God wants us to be.
No fluff. No study guide. No hugs. One book – the Bible.
You don’t have to be a member of our church or know anything about the Bible to be a part of Stoneview’s Compass Men. You just need to be ready to take your life to the next level.
Begins Tuesday, June 2nd.
Location: McDonald’s in the “Pilot Point Travel Center” at “Alliance Crossing”
Directions: Click for Map.