We recently spent 3 weeks on “The Daniel Fast,” and during that time we sensed God speaking to us. It wasn’t in a loud voice or with writing in the sky, but it happened as more of an “awakening,” with certain images coming into focus. Not “marching orders,” necessarily, but general directions for moving forward. And although we were praying for specific directions (Go here; move there; do this…) the general impressions we received as we genuinely sought Him were definitely answers to our prayers.
The thing about general directions is that they lend themselves to specific actions. So in a sense, they are like specific directions. Below are some of our general impressions that we believe will move us forward as we continue seeking, listening to and following the Living God.
1. General Impression: A call to spiritual vitality – Nurture and invest in your spiritual growth by cultivating simple spiritual disciplines.
2. General Impression: A call to physical fitness and health – Get strong. Get healthy. Get Ready.
3. General Impression: A call to create – Complete unfinished creative projects. Start and develop new ones.
4. General Impression: A call to order – Organize and clear the clutter in your home and finances.
5. General Impression: A call to mission – Reflect God’s heart and share Christ with a lost world.
For each “General Impression,” there are several targets that we are aiming for. The targets are just a start. They are not legalistic or rigid but are very tangible, measurable and practical. They are also, for the most part, simple, small steps that are obvious in their purpose but profound in their implementation.
The next five posts will go into detail about the specific targets, including apps and resources we are using as tools to help us hit the bulls-eye.
As is often the case, we come to God seeking specific directions for where to go and He instead gives directions for what He wants us to become. The next steps will flow from that…